For my purposes - FreeMind is my tool of choice.
- I've been doing more and more of my writing in OpenOffice and FreeMind exports directly to that.
- Out of the box pdf export with no additional drivers
- A good organic layout is created automatically
- I can script it if I want to with Groovy
- It can support attributes on the nodes now
- The file format is easy peasy xml for easy parsing and manipulation
- It is fast and when not in use doesn't hog my processor
- It can open MindManager maps directly so I have no messing about moving tool
- Very easy to use
- Because it is cross platform I can share my mind maps with my 'strange' Mac using colleagues
The fact that it is free and open source is a bonus and means that anyone can benefit from this tool with no monetary investment. I thoroughly recommend trying this tool out.