But, not everyone knows how to use the command line. I've had quite a few questions on the various courses I conduct because people have no familiarity with the command line. And the worst part was, I could not find a good resource to send them to, in order to learn the command line.
As a result, I created a short 6 minute video that shows how to start the windows command line, change to a specific directory, run some commands, and how to find out more information.
Start Command line by:
- clicking on start \ "Command Prompt"
- Start \ Run, "cmd"
- Start \ search for "cmd"
- Win+R, "cmd"
- Windows Powertoy "Open Command Window Here"
- Shift + Right Click - "Open Command Prompt Here"
- type "cmd" in explorer (Win+e, navigate, "cmd")
- Windows 8 command from dashboard
- dir - show directory listing
- cd .. - move up a directory
- cd directoryname - change to a subdirectory
- cls - clear the screen
- title name - retitle a command window
- help - what commands are available
- help command - information on the command
If anyone wants more videos like this then please either leave comments here, or on YouTube and let me know. Or if you know of any great references to point beginners at then I welcome those comments as well.