blogger.comis free so at some point Google will cancel it and I will lose everything
- wordpress uses php and a database and at somepoint someone will take advantage of a security hole and I’ll get hacked and lose everything
- there is no RSS feed
- linkedin might go down and I’ll lose everything
I chose to use Hugo for this.
- all posts in Hugo are written in markdown
- I already write all my posts in markdown (and covert into html for pasting into the other platforms)
- I get to use my testerhq.com domain
- I get to try out the multiple site hosting on my vidahost cloud plan
- much harder to hack a static site (and if you do, I just re-upload)
- I can eventually put all posts on github and have an offsite source back up as well
- I can repurpose all the posts later
- stuff I post to slideshare
- tweets I think are useful
- youtube videos etc.
I thought I should really write my own but since I saw so many failed attempts out there I thought it might be too hard and take too long.
- I really should have done
- I might migrate each blog once (4 of them), but there are over 450 posts, that might be worth automating.
- Use wordpress blogger import
- Use a jekyll export Wordpress plugin
- import from Jekyll to Hugo
I exported my wordpress blogs directly to Jekyll and imported to Hugo.
And then the pain started.
Sometimes it was:
- html for iframes of slideshare and youtube messed up
- images not convered to markdown properly
- mad html not converted properly due to a missing tag somewhere
- various special chars not converted properly
It took me ages. I suspect it would have been faster for me to automate this last part.
HTTP Testing Web Crawler and amended it to check for characters on the page this made it easy for me to check for:
- images that hadn’t converted properly e.g. and left
!(type chars on the html
Choose Your Own Adventure Game that I created a few years ago in Twine with my Son. And thought about converting it into more of a CYOA game book format e.g.
walk out of the door (goto 8)listed on the page rather than a link.
I started hand converting it from a twine archive into markdown because I looked around and could not find any tools available that did this, and I saw a few failed attempts and I was about to say ‘this is hard’.
But I knocked up a quick converter using Java and JSoup and it didn’t take long at all.
The benefit is, that because I have automated:
- I am more likely to do it again
- I will probably write more CYOA games
- I learned more about JSoup
- I have yet more code on github
- I re-used the work I put into pandocifier
- I’ve created an archive for my main blogs over at testerhq.com.
- This has an RSS feed that covers - SeleniumSimplified.com, EvilTester.com, JavaForTesters.com, and CompendiumDev.co.uk, and LinkedIn
- I will continue to add the posts to the other blogs as well, so if you’re only interested in one strand of my work you can keep using that
- Sometimes we should automate, even if we are only doing a task once.